(My title is from The Nightmare Before Christmas, in case you're wondering why I wrote Halloween twice...which you probably aren't). : )
Well, I probably just had my last Halloween where I get to choose what Addie Grace and Sawyer dress up like...although, I do have an idea for next year that I want to beg them to do for me, but I'm not going to hold my breath!! This year Sawyer wanted to be Lightning McQueen. Since I had no idea how to pull that off, I had to make other plans. For his third birthday, I'm planning a cowboy party. Since I was going to get him a costume for that, I decided to go ahead and get it and they could just be a cowboy and an Indian! Great idea, huh? Well, no-one shared my enthusiasm. Really, Sawyer didn't protest too much, especially since I let him carry a Lightning McQueen trick-or-treat bag. However, Addie Grace did NOT want to be an Indian, she didn't know what she wanted to be, but she knew that it was NOT an Indian...that would have made things MUCH too easy!! I wasn't going to make her, so I was beginning to get really bummed. The only thing that saved me was a hand-me-down Pocahontas costume!!! I had to do a little work on it, but it was well worth it to me, because you can't beat free!! Thanks, Holly!! And Addie Grace was thrilled! Any costume with the word princess thrown in, and she's good! So, everyone ended up happy! Especially me! Along the lines of free, but not free...I had really been stressing about Sawyer's costume because I really wanted a pair of cowboy boots and a cowboy hat for him, because you CAN'T be a cowboy without cowboy boots and a hat! The problem was, even for used ones, people wanted $15 or $20 bucks for the boots and another $10 or $15 for the hat, which I just didn't want to pay for a Halloween costume!! Well, enter my friend Krista, who just so happened to have a trip planned to Texas to help with her sister's consignment sale! She ended up getting me some boots for THREE DOLLARS and a cowboy hat for THREE DOLLARS! Hooray for Krista! I'm not really sure why I felt the need to mention that. It just made me happy, so I thought I'd let you share in my joy! I'm sure that you are reveling in it.
Anyway, Halloween was a really busy day! Jack came over and spent a few hours with us and then we took them to our friend Sydney's birthday party. After that we went to church for the fall festival, and then we went back to our friends Jill and Bill's to trick-or-treat and to have dinner, and then we went to our friend Krista's for one last special stop! We got home ridiculously late for our kids who have 8:30 bedtimes, but we had fun and we all survived!
Sawyer was so funny! As I'm sure you know, he never really jumps right in and wants to do any activity. He's more of a stand back, get comfy and THEN he'll typically join in. Well, NOT with Halloween! He was all about it! He loved going around and yelling, "trick-or-treat"! He thought it was the best thing in the world that everybody kept giving him candy. He marched right up to every house anxiously awaiting his treat! Even the houses that people dressed up like scary things...a witch in particular...we figured there was no way he was going near those houses. Nope, we were wrong. He made Brian carry him to the first one, but he kept saying, "come on, Daddy. Let's go." He wasn't excited about it, but he was NOT going to miss out on going to get some candy. The second house that we went to where the lady was dressed up like a witch and sitting on her front porch, he looked at her and then said, "Daddy...I WILL go and get the candy". And he reluctantly walked up, grabbed his candy and ran! His bag was bigger than he was, but he would NOT let anyone carry it for him. He was too funny!
And Addie Grace was just thrilled to be able to trick-or-treat with Shelby (one of her favorite people in the world)! It was such a fun day!
Anyway, enough of my jabbering...here are some pictures!
Well, I probably just had my last Halloween where I get to choose what Addie Grace and Sawyer dress up like...although, I do have an idea for next year that I want to beg them to do for me, but I'm not going to hold my breath!! This year Sawyer wanted to be Lightning McQueen. Since I had no idea how to pull that off, I had to make other plans. For his third birthday, I'm planning a cowboy party. Since I was going to get him a costume for that, I decided to go ahead and get it and they could just be a cowboy and an Indian! Great idea, huh? Well, no-one shared my enthusiasm. Really, Sawyer didn't protest too much, especially since I let him carry a Lightning McQueen trick-or-treat bag. However, Addie Grace did NOT want to be an Indian, she didn't know what she wanted to be, but she knew that it was NOT an Indian...that would have made things MUCH too easy!! I wasn't going to make her, so I was beginning to get really bummed. The only thing that saved me was a hand-me-down Pocahontas costume!!! I had to do a little work on it, but it was well worth it to me, because you can't beat free!! Thanks, Holly!! And Addie Grace was thrilled! Any costume with the word princess thrown in, and she's good! So, everyone ended up happy! Especially me! Along the lines of free, but not free...I had really been stressing about Sawyer's costume because I really wanted a pair of cowboy boots and a cowboy hat for him, because you CAN'T be a cowboy without cowboy boots and a hat! The problem was, even for used ones, people wanted $15 or $20 bucks for the boots and another $10 or $15 for the hat, which I just didn't want to pay for a Halloween costume!! Well, enter my friend Krista, who just so happened to have a trip planned to Texas to help with her sister's consignment sale! She ended up getting me some boots for THREE DOLLARS and a cowboy hat for THREE DOLLARS! Hooray for Krista! I'm not really sure why I felt the need to mention that. It just made me happy, so I thought I'd let you share in my joy! I'm sure that you are reveling in it.
Anyway, Halloween was a really busy day! Jack came over and spent a few hours with us and then we took them to our friend Sydney's birthday party. After that we went to church for the fall festival, and then we went back to our friends Jill and Bill's to trick-or-treat and to have dinner, and then we went to our friend Krista's for one last special stop! We got home ridiculously late for our kids who have 8:30 bedtimes, but we had fun and we all survived!
Sawyer was so funny! As I'm sure you know, he never really jumps right in and wants to do any activity. He's more of a stand back, get comfy and THEN he'll typically join in. Well, NOT with Halloween! He was all about it! He loved going around and yelling, "trick-or-treat"! He thought it was the best thing in the world that everybody kept giving him candy. He marched right up to every house anxiously awaiting his treat! Even the houses that people dressed up like scary things...a witch in particular...we figured there was no way he was going near those houses. Nope, we were wrong. He made Brian carry him to the first one, but he kept saying, "come on, Daddy. Let's go." He wasn't excited about it, but he was NOT going to miss out on going to get some candy. The second house that we went to where the lady was dressed up like a witch and sitting on her front porch, he looked at her and then said, "Daddy...I WILL go and get the candy". And he reluctantly walked up, grabbed his candy and ran! His bag was bigger than he was, but he would NOT let anyone carry it for him. He was too funny!
And Addie Grace was just thrilled to be able to trick-or-treat with Shelby (one of her favorite people in the world)! It was such a fun day!
Anyway, enough of my jabbering...here are some pictures!
I told Brian to make them smile, so he started acting like a monkey. Instead of smiling at him, Addie Grace decided to join in on the imitation. Sawyer was unimpressed with his father's antics and found a different activity to entertain himself, and I think Jack was telling him that his lame imitation and all of these pictures were making him want to cry.
silly cousins...
I don't know what they are doing here...it just makes me smile.
Some of my very favorite girls at Sydney's birthday party...

And here's sweet Sydney! I'm so sad that this picture turned out blurry. I still love it of her!
Sawyer giving a friend a gentle nudge while trick-or-treating so that he could get to the candy...
Lastly, here's Sawyer wrestling with his heavy trick-or-treat bag while not wanting anyone else to carry it. I don't know why I'm posting this...I just like to hear his little feet clicking along in his cowboy boots and hearing him grunt and huff trying to carry his bag. I also like his grunty, angst-ridden protest of Brian trying to carry his bag. What I don't love? My loud, nasally, country voice. Sorry.
Hope you had a great Halloween, too!
3 comments:
I LOVE your voice, darlin'! I totally hear it in my head as I read your posts. Twang and all! :D
Yay for FREE and almost FREE!
Cute pictures! Love the cousin picture:)
The silly cousin picture is so cute. That's a keeper! And even though A.G. may not have been too excited at first, she was the perfect Pocahontas. Sawyer was truly hysterical with that heavy bag of candy, and it's funny, but I remember his boots clomping along as well! I'm glad you came back to trick or treat with us...I think we need to make that a tradition! Whew...that was long..I just blogged on your blog!
Post a Comment